Actions We’re Taking
Special Pathogens Laboratory is doing our part to contain the virus while keeping our business open so we can protect you and your organization from infections caused by Legionella and other waterborne pathogens. Our infection preventionist on staff is monitoring the situation, and we have formed a pandemic committee to develop contingency planning, implement the latest recommendations from the CDC and WHO, and ensure we are in compliance with city, county and state directives.
Taking Care of Business
We are open for normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. laboratory only). All staff working on site are observing social distancing recommendations. Our water management services and consulting team is on temporary travel restriction except for case investigations and outbreak response. Our remaining staff are working from home.
Help Us Help You
Out of an abundance of caution, our laboratory analysts and technicians are working in rotating shifts to prevent disruption in testing. During this time of uncertainty, we are offering free shipping and are requesting the following:
- Ship your samples to arrive on Monday or Tuesday to help us balance our workload.
- For samples other than Legionella, call us at 412-281-5335 or email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance so we can prepare for those tests. (Don’t want to call? Activate your MySPL portal account. New clients, create an account here.)
- Local clients, please drop off samples on the table in the entry hallway.
We’re Here for You
Thank you for your understanding and collaboration as we brave this pandemic together. Please stay safe and informed. For your convenience, we’ve compiled lists of COVID-19 resources below as well as links to donations.
To create a DIY water safety and management plan, sign up for LegiDoc. For customized plans, contact us!
For questions regarding water safety, infections from waterborne pathogens, water management services, and Legionnaires’ disease case investigations or outbreaks, please contact us.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- PPE Connect PGH
- Pittsburgh COVID-19 Resilience Network
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
- Feeding the Frontline PGH
- Service Industry Emergency Fund
- 412 Food Rescue
- Bloomfield-Garfield Corporation Emergency Fund
- Pittsburgh COVID-19 LGBTQIA Emergency Relief Fund
- The Pittsburgh Foundation Emergency Action Fund
- Western Pennsylvania Diaper Bank
- Homeless Children’s Education Fund
- American Red Cross (Southwestern Pennsylvania Chapter)
- Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
- Humane Animal Rescue
- Animal Friends
- Hello Bully