International Infection Prevention week is a week to highlight the role of infection prevention plays in patient safety. Infection prevention is everyone’s responsibility.
Did you know there are things each one of us can do to prevent the spread of infection in healthcare facilities and in the community?
- Practice good hand hygiene using soap and water or alcohol hand-rubs after touching something that is dirty, especially before preparing food and eating
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Get your flu shot each year
- Stay home from work, school and other crowded places when you are sick
- Take antibiotics only when necessary for bacterial infections, prescribed by a medical provider. If prescribed, take antibiotics exactly how they are prescribed.